This week we took on a tiny two day task. We invested the day laying vinyl flooring over vinyl floor covering. Which can be complicated to get right however with the right info and also procedures, any type of do-it-yourself-er and homeowner can tackle a job such as this with self-confidence. As always I will provide all tools and products you will need to lay vinyl floor covering over vinyl floor covering.
Your new vinyl floor covering
Vinyl flooring adhesive (we used a releasable stress sensitive adhesive from Chap-co).
caulking( shot and match the color of your floor covering).
Blue painters tape.
Otherwise reusing old baseboard as well as limits your will need to acquire new.
Razor blade (hook blade as well as typical blade).
Hammer & flat bar.
End up nail gun( hammer as well as nail collection will certainly likewise function).
If recycling old moulding), Miter Saw( not necessary.
Paint brush & roller( if utilizing releasable pressure sensitive adhesive, with some adhesives you will certainly require a 1/8 scratched tile trowel to spread your adhesive, constantly make sure to check out and also adhere to the manufacturers instructions on container).
2x4 covered in carpeting or a towel.
Being a homeowner you will more than likely very own these tools. If not, you can pick them up at your regional equipment shop and also not need to worry as you will certainly have the ability to make use of any of these provided devices over and over again.
1. Firstly and most certainly you will certainly require to remove the area. , if its your kitchen it is always best to remove your refrigerator as well as oven to run the floor covering under them.
2. Utilizing your hammer and also level bar, it's time to remove any base board moulding or quarter round trim from around the sides of your flooring. , if you are going to just recycle your old moulding make certain not to damage any of your items as your eliminating them.. Viewing as your selecting an all new floor I would suggest replacing all the moulding. It depends exactly how batter the old moulding is and also your spending plan.
3. Evaluate your floor. Seek bubbles and also loosened locations. Utilizing your razor blade, w/ a typical blade, removed and also remove these bad areas.
4. Vacuum the floor of all dirt and particles to maintain it out of your skim coat.
5. Currently it's time to skim coat the flooring. We made use of a Henry 547 Universal Spot & Skim Coat. This skim coat merely obtains combined with water. Adhere to the guidelines on the plan of whatever skim coat you pick to make use of. If you are completing locations where it will certainly be thicker you will certainly wish to fill up those areas with a thicker mix. Using your masonry trowel, spread the skim coat across the entire flooring. This will certainly fill in the locations you required to get rid of in addition to any type of appearance in the existing vinyl. Even if you do not require to reduce any type of locations out, your new vinyl will suck up limited to the old floor covering a lot that you will see the appearance of the old floor come through to your new floor. This is a necessary step as well as is what makes laying vinyl floor covering over vinyl flooring feasible.
6. Cover it up, you're done for about 14-18 hours depending on how long your skim coat item requires to establish as well as dry.
7. Now that your skim coat has actually dried out. Check the surface. Using your trowel scrape off any drips or any kind of lines you left. The trick to the skim coat is to get it completely flat as possible.
8. Vacuum the whole flooring extremely thoroughly. Any particles you leave on your flooring will certainly be seen through the brand-new vinyl.
9. Now it is time to eliminate your new vinyl flooring. There are a pair ways you may intend to tackle this. You can merely take measurements as well as draw a diagram for yourself to adhere to. An additional way is to obtain a roll of building and construction paper, lay it out and also cut yourself a pattern. In any case you select to do this you need to make sure to leave an excellent 2 inches completely around. The hook blade works great for removing your brand-new floor. , if you are using a felt backed vinyl you will certainly need to make relief cuts in the within corners of your new flooring.. You will also require to tape these corners with blue painters tape to enhance them. Really felt backed vinyl is fragile. It will certainly tear and also crack on you particularly in those corners. , if you are making use of a sheet vinyl item you will not have to worry about this.
10. Lug your new flooring right into the location and thoroughly spread it and lay it down where it goes. Utilizing your common blade push the excess you left right into the corners and also cut off the excess around the entire flooring. If you are using a floor that has straight lines running through it you will certainly want to make certain you have those lines lined up just how you want them prior to you cut your floor. You may need to move it over as well as if you have already suffice you may not be big sufficient to fit up to the wall surface.
11. It's time for adhesive when you have your flooring all cut out and also prepared to go. with the releasable stress sensitive glue you will have the ability to just repaint it on the floor. Various other glues might need a scratched trowel. Read as well as adhere to the directions on the adhesive you are utilizing. The releasable adhesive is advised, by the producer, for sheet vinyl item. Fold back one side of your floor covering regarding midway back. Spread your glue. , if you desire a permanent bond with the releasable glue you won't desire to let it completely dry completely.. When the glue is ready, meticulously lay your vinyl back where it was on the flooring. Using a size of 2x4 covered in carpeting( or wrapped in a towel) press and also slide out the flooring in the direction of the outside sides. This is mosting likely to displace creases and also bubbles, guaranteeing a limited bond. Repeat this for the other side of your flooring.
12. Currently you can replace your old moulding as well as limits. If you select to change your moulding, ensure your dimensions are correct as well as angles are proper. If you attempt making use of the old pieces as themes they will all run a little larger as well as will not fit in their places. If you weren't able to obtain your flooring excellent as well as there are some areas that aren't entirely covered, either by the base board or new floor covering (i.e. around doorways as well as their trim), you can use caulking to fill out these locations.
13. Some glues require waiting a while to completely dry, prior to moving any furnishings or devices on top of it. A good guideline would certainly be to wait a pair hours prior to moving things back, however simply see what the product your using suggests and also adhere to that.
It is a fairly easy process for any house owner or do-it-yourself-er. The trick is your skim coat. This is what makes laying vinyl flooring over vinyl flooring possible. The texture of your old floor WILL reveal via on your brand-new vinyl if you do not skim coat it.
I mentioned felt back/paper back vinyl as well as whats called sheet vinyl. Vinyl itself is a really affordable material for an excellent looking all new flooring. The price range between your less expensive( really felt backed, splits and also rips EXTREMELY quickly) as well as your higher quality( sheet vinyl, won't fracture, tear or fold) vinyls isn't a big difference. Sheet vinyl is so much less complicated to work with and lay. The difference in price will be well worth the disappointment of installing it. As well as if you purchase the more affordable vinyl and it rips, your mosting likely to require to either acquire a vinyl joint bonding product or go out as well as purchase one more item of vinyl. We very recommend utilizing a sheet vinyl product with a releasable pressure sensitive adhesive for finest results.
Laying vinyl flooring over vinyl flooring is a terrific weekend break job that will certainly leave you with a lovely brand-new flooring in addition to boost the worth of your house. All the best on your following residence renovation task, and also see to it to examine back with us for brand-new as well as upgraded info on Do It Yourself as well as house enhancements.
What's all the hassle about vinyl flooring lately? One most likely thinks dull, dull and boring as you conger up photos of that vinyl floor covering of days gone by. The drab gold or dull orange and brown square patterns from your grandmother's cooking area are no much longer.
Modern technology has actually enhanced throughout the years and the vinyl flooring these days is much from drab. Thanks to advancements in manufacturing as well as design, it has been changed with an extra resistant, high-end vinyl flooring that has quickly come to be in vogue.
Right here are five big factors to take into consideration high-end vinyl flooring no matter what room in the home you are considering remodeling.
1. Large Range Of Styles As Well As Colors.
It is the 2nd layer of vinyl floor covering that makes it functional as well as so stunning. A printing process called rotogravure is used on this layer to inscribe the layout. This technique of printing uses a rotary press with photoengraved plates to imprint just about any kind of kind of design onto the vinyl.
Because it is currently made to replicate the look of so many all-natural substratums, durable vinyl flooring is so functional. Rock, tile, timber, linoleum, block and also marble are simply some of the alternatives offered. A wide range of appearances, colors and patterns produce endless opportunities. Regardless of what your style or budget plan preference, there are several choices to choose from.
2. Easy To Clean.
Vinyl floors today are common offered as "no wax" floors. These "no-wax" surface areas are simpler to cleanse since the floor radiates without waxing. A damp wipe is all that is typically required to keep it tidy. The leading wear layer will likewise be highly resistant to discoloration and damaging.
It is essential to keep in mind that these "no-wax" floors will at some point lose their sparkle in time. Manufacturers suggest that the flooring be buffed or recoated with the "no-wax" product over the surface area where the luster has lessened. It is always best to make use of the producer's advised covering product as there are various formulas on the marketplace.
3. Long Lasting, Use Immune.
There are two types that use wear resistance and also a lengthy life span:.
Printed Vinyl Floor Covering.
Consists of 3-4 Layers.
Wear layer (top).
Padding layer (optional).
The majority of vinyl flooring includes 3 to four layers sandwiched together to develop a material that is both gorgeous as well as long lasting. The very first layer contains a backing material that is made from felt or fiberglass. The second layer is a published layer of vinyl that abides by the base layer. There might be a supporting layer on some styles. The last layer is called a "wear layer", and also it is likewise made from vinyl.
The wear layer is made also from vinyl and also protects the flooring from wear and tear. Its resistance to damages and gouging depends on the thickness of the layer. The thicker the wear layer, the even more long lasting the flooring will certainly be. FHA requirements are a minimum of 10 mils however the most effective flooring designs offer up to 30 mils for ideal defense. If you are looking for the best efficiency, it is important to ask the sales person regarding the density of the wear layer.
Inlaid Vinyl Flooring.
With inlaid vinyl floor covering the pattern is created throughout the thickness of the vinyl. This kind is extra expensive, however if the pattern is damaged or scratched, it is not visible due to the fact that the pattern extends throughout the entire deepness of the sheet. Decorated vinyl floors do not have a wear layer, however they do have a base support layer.
4. Comfortable Underfoot.
If you are going to mount your floor covering in areas where you will be doing a great deal of strolling or standing, such as in the more info kitchen, a style that consists of a supported backing will likely be most comfortable. When compared to tile, laminate or wood floorings, the supported vinyl floor covering will always supply a greater level of comfort for standing and strolling.
5. Much Less Difficult Installation.
Although an expert is constantly advised for installment, the process can be less complex than various other types of flooring since you can commonly install the new flooring right over the existing one. You can chat with your sales individual concerning mounting the vinyl flooring right over it if you have an evenly-surfaced tile or wood floor. Due to the fact that you may not have to pay someone to remove the old flooring before installing the new one, this can save you money and time in the long run.
Also with tile, wood and even laminate flooring your professional may need to do a good deal of messy cutting to fit the pieces together. With roll-type vinyl, this mess is decreased which can conserve you cash as well as tidy up time in the long term.
We spent the day laying vinyl flooring over vinyl flooring. As always I will list all products as well as devices you will need to lay vinyl flooring over vinyl flooring.
I mentioned felt back/paper back vinyl and also whats called sheet vinyl. Not to state if you acquire the more affordable vinyl as well as it splits, your going to need to either purchase a vinyl seam bonding product or go out and also acquire an additional item of vinyl. With inlaid vinyl flooring the pattern is created throughout the thickness of the vinyl.